Ole Christian Veiby did his best ever rally in Norway when he won the final round and secured second overall in the Norwegian Championship.
– This was perfect from start to finish, says the happy 21-year-old. Together with Stig Rune Skjærmoen he did a brilliant job in the Skoda Fabia R5 and were the fastest R5 car through the day. At the famous “Engseth-jump” they unofficially jumped the furthest of all with 47 meters.
– We planned to be fast from the very first meter, and also we wanted to keep Eyvind behind us, we managed both. It feels incredible to secure victory in the final round of the Norwegian Championship, and I believe this is my best rally ever done in Norway, says Ole Christian, who in the end finished nearly 20 seconds ahead of Brynildsen.
Ole Christian have competed at 5 of 6 rounds in the championship this year, and have been faster than Brynildsen in 3 of them. The overall winner of Rally Hedemarken, Mads Østberg, competed in a WRC car and were not eligible for scoring points. Eyvind Brynildsen came third, but secured his overall victory in the Norwegian Championship.
– It’s been incredible fun and good practice for us to compete in the Norwegian championship. The competition here is as strong as in the WRC, so it’s been very valuable. Eyvind have been strong all the year and is on the same level as in the WRC, and I’ve really enjoyed the battle between us this season.
– Even though our season is not over yet, I feel we have made a good progression this year. It started with our podium at Rally Sweden and we have been stronger and stronger throughout the season. The victory at Rally Poland is clearly a highlight, says the Norwegian, who is in a good position to win the Asian Pacific Rally Championship ahead of the final round in India.
– The Norwegian Championship have not been our main target this year, but it’s been really good practice and a lot of fun to compete in Norway. I want to say big thank you to all the guys who have been working with me this year and made sure the car has been perfect all the time! It’s actually the same guys that have been in the team since the beginning of my career.